Sunday, February 13, 2005

5 3 Bulgogi

So I've managed to spend all the time I was going to use to write a fascinating entry doing emails instead. The end result is an added blog link at the end of the page, Unity. Authored by my cousin living in Massachusetts, it offers a...

Sorry, tangent. I was thinking of saying it offers a unique look. But I don't like how that sounds. I was going to say refreshing... and maybe that would be appropriate but I don't want to say that either. In the end, I think it comes down to the fact that currently my writing skills are not adequate to express how I feel about the blog. And I'm not going to root around in a thesaurus because I feel like my writing is terribly unoriginal when I do that. Anyways, I like his blog, please go visit it.

And the tangent leads into a couple other points. Short point first. It's brutally obvious, yet I still struggle with this fact: the world is loaded with people, so there's no need for a coolness contest. Someone out there is going to like you for who you are. I can hear echoes of "dude this isn't cool" already. Again point isn't the right word, because I think point is better used when you're actually trying to say something semi-original. I digress... (haha digress, now that's an appropriate word for my writing today).

Ok, second point. You'll see at the bottom some links. One of the links is for my cousin's blog who I've been out of touch with for a while. He's a minister in a church in MA. Another one of the links is to a blog that I'd prefer my mom not read by a guy who by some accounts drinks entirely too much. So yes, there's a contrast there. I'm not quite sure where I stand with religious matters. For the past 8 years of my life or so I haven't been dedicated to church-going... and the friends I've made haven't been churchgoers either. We might not've often done the right things, but I don't regret any of the time I've spent with friends from both St. Ed's and Clemson.

So here I am going to church again regularly, just like when I was little. Should I be bummed that I am spending my time in church because of the friends I've made there just as much as because I'm assuming there's God out there? I don't think so... but I hope this isn't the point where people think in their heads, "Just keep telling yourself that." I'm grateful for some of the things I read by my cousin, and I'll be sure to point that out to him in the next email.

Yes, the inevitable religious post has occurred. No apologies here, I had to write about it. It helps clear my head... but then I start thinking about the great science vs. religion debate all over again. Ah well.

Oh yeah, in a weak attempt to show off my incredibly poor knowledge of Korean and speed my learning process, I'll be adding at least one most likely random and grammatically incorrect sentence in this foreign language to each of my posts. To begin, the classic... "아줌마! 오삼 불고기 주새요." Probably a better word for waiter out there... but I used 아줌마 because I'll never forget the grandfather of one of my students using that word repeatedly to get the attention of our waitress one night when he took us out to dinner.

1 comment:

R said...

You are in Kangneung? Have I met you?

My mum reads my blog, the bad language is generally just used in a humorous way, and not directed at people in an offensive manner.

The guy who drinks too much.