Thursday, January 20, 2005

These are a few...

Assuming the random potential hagwon teacher stumbles upon this site... to fill up class time I play a bunch of games. If you teach in a hagwon, you know you do it too. Many different games. The ones that work for me with various levels of success: Bingo, Hangman, Stop the Bus, Ball spelling game, Card spelling game, 20 Questions, Chair Showdown. Tough work playing games all day, let me tell you. Let me know if you want to know about Chair Showdown or Stop the Bus. I wish I had known about these games before I got started. They make filling up time alot easier.

One of my students told me all the Korean words for red today. He won't discourage me from studying Korean a bit after this though. But he did list like nine different words. I assume he was talking about like dark red, maroon, burgundy, etc. Then we talked about all the different expressions there are for English. My brilliant deduction is that they're both tough languages.

Book I am reading now: Colors of the Mountain by Da Chen. Memoir of a kid growing up in China in the second half of the 20th century. The author had a tough time of it because his father was a landlord (Commies say what). Worth a read, I'm going to have to get some English books from here when I've finished all my English reading material. Haven't found much in the way of English books in the city other than a couple Learn Korean textbooks. What The Book gets my full endorsement if you're living in a smaller Korean city and need something in a language that is familiar.

Music, 자우림. TV... funny Korean game shows that I can't understand (except for the physical comedy of course).

Was thinking of switching to Blogdrive. Or maybe I'd like this blogspot better if I could figure out how to change all the words in here to English from Korean... drop me a line if you can help. I'm sure it's not a tough problem.

No comments: